2518 Paul B. Loyd Junior – AFT Crane Boom Rest
Rig Name: ARTHIT
Rig Type: Semisubmersible
Owner name: Transocean Ltd.
Classification Society: DNV
Pertinent code: API 2C
Code design: ASD 9th edition
Crane model: Libherr BOS 2600 75D LITRONIC
Please download PDF version to see 3D model – click here
- Project description
- Rig Engineering (R.E.) was recently tasked by Transocean to provide engineering services / support in replacing existing Port pedestal crane with a new Liebherr crane. This supports include
engineering calculation, (static strength and fatigue calculation), simulation and the fabrication packages to allow for the destruct and installation of new pedestal . For detailed information, refer to our Case Study 2518 A Paul B Loyd Junior Port Crane Replacement. As a follow on from that Case Study, R.E. has been tasked with designing a brand new auxiliary crane boom rest to supplement the main boom rest when the crane is in normal stowed condition. Since the stowed condition of use, pose the risk of breaching the 210 sector for landing and takeoff, this auxiliary boom rest was provided for use during helicopter landing and taking off. Liebherr’s design criteria and Lloyd’s Register requirements Code for Lifting Appliances in a Marine Environment as well as Det Norske
Veritas’s requirements on the strength verification, were met in full. Short Form Agreement (SFA) was raised with Det Norske Veritas and the Classs Submittal was duly done on behalf of TOI.
Crane Boom Rest
- R.E. Scope of work
– Conduct site survey to confirm that the as built drawings are still valid and any added structures or changes in structures in way of the existing
Port crane, are captured and used in this campaign.
– Design of new Crane Boom Rest.
– Prepare a detailed finite element (FE) model of the deck area under Crane Boom Rest.
– Assist with class submittal and provide all the required technical assessment and verification to Det Norske Veritas (DNV).
– Provide fabrication and strengthening drawings deemed necessary to accommodate this crane boom rest.
- Engagement Condition
Upload your problem to us and give us relevant input to allow us to resolve your problem, we will need:
1. As built of structure to create 3D FEA model.
2. Static and environmental loads of rig.
3. Detailed information about new crane.
4. Code and standards required for Boom Rest Conformance check